Newly engaged, and one of the first things you need to decide is selecting a wedding date! There are many pros and cons of each season here in Sonoma County. Read more to find what season in Wine Country is right for you, and suits you best!
- Cost: Since Spring time is right in between slow and peak wedding season. Getting married between March/April can be more affordable. Often, we see wedding venues are offered at a discounted rate during these months, which could potentially save you about $500-1,000 or more!
- April Showers, Brings May Flowers: During Spring, Sonoma County is surrounded with fresh bloomed flowers and greenery. Everything is in full bloom effect making the area feel alive and vibrant. During this time, the vineyards are not filled with leaves, but with grass and bright yellow mustard.
- Unpredictable Weather: Spring time here is Sonoma County can bring unpredictable weather. Sometimes we’ll wake up with the sun blazing at 9:00am, and then by 4:00pm a set of clouds will roll in for some evening rain.
- Allergy/ Cold/Flu Season: With the unpredictable weather and blooming everywhere, allergies, colds, and the flu are more common. With the weather fluctuating, many people are prone to getting sick easier, as their bodies are getting used to the new allergies and temperatures.
- Hot days = Beautiful Nights: Here in Sonoma County, the weather starts warming up quite a bit during the Summer months leaving us with amazing nights, where you don’t even need a jacket and you feel comfortable wearing that cocktail or wedding dress throughout the entire evening. You can also plan on having that outdoor dinner/ reception you’ve always dreamed of, while keeping your guests satisfied and comfortable.
- Sunset: During the summertime, we find that the sun typically sets anywhere from 8:00-8:30pm which means more light during your event! This is a PRO especially for venues that have outside dinner spaces that require lighting. For the summer months, the sun can provide the natural up lighting and can potentially save couples from spending money in that category.
- Tourist: Sonoma County is a highly visited area during the summer time. There are many concerts, festivals, and fairs that take place. This can make it a tough time to book reservations at restaurants and hotels. NOTE- the right venue will alert you to what dates to avoid when local festivals are occurring.
- Beautiful everything: Fall time here in Sonoma County is the most beautiful part of the year. We experience the changing colors of the leaves, the fullest vines, crush season and much more.
- Predictable weather: During the fall, the chance of it raining is very slim. The weather is so nice that you don’t need to worry about having a tent rental order started for backup and potentially saving an extra $5,000-10,000.
- Availability: Fall is the most popular time to get married here in Sonoma County. Saturday’s through September and October fill up quickly and we suggest clients book at least a year in advanced during these months. With limited options for venue dates, there is also a more limited availability of wedding vendors as this is the most productive time of the wedding season.
- Price: As the season that is in highest demand, peak season pricing is generally the rule at most venues and negotiating on pricing with the vendors is more difficult as well.
- Deals: The winter time is called the “Slow season” for the hospitality world. During this season, you will be able to find the best deals around, as venues, vendors, and companies try and keep themselves busy during the off-season.
- Snow: You will not need to worry about it snowing in Sonoma County, or having roads closed due to snow. Although, the temperature does drop during the winter time, it does not snow, which is one less thing you will need to worry about when planning your wedding.
- Holidays: Since many people ask for time off during the Holiday’s it then becomes hard to compete with your guest’s personal plans. And if you are an out of town guest that requires airfare, flights can be more expensive during this time of year.
- Indoor: With the chilly weather around this time of year, you will need to consider a venue in Sonoma County that is indoor and has heating.
Wine Country is beautiful no matter the season, but we hope these insights will help you to select the time that suits you best.
About the author: Milestone Events Group is Northern California’s most experienced & largest event management company providing site selection services to multiple locations throughout Sonoma County. Over the past 5 years Milestone has helped hundreds of couples simplify the venue selection process by providing clarity, predictability and ultimately confidence for clients who work with them to evaluate wineries, ranches, and other locations for their private events.
After the venue selection process is complete, Milestone is also available to help produce events in a stress reduced and highly professional manner. www.MilestoneEventsGroup.com